I have the Best Apple Sausage Stuffing Recipe ever! This coming Sunday, I was invited to be a part of the Ultimate Oregon Thanksgiving with Missy Maki Simple Kitchen radio show. A group of Oregon Food Bloggers are getting together to put on the BEST show with great ideas and recipes for Thanksgiving. (don’t tell them I’m not a real food blogger and that I live in Washington….10 min away)
Apple Sausage Stuffing Recipe
Sadly, I won’t be able to make the radio show now because I’ve been invited to a Disney Land Blogger event……no I’m not sad, I’m actually very excited…..but I was really looking forward to meeting the Oregon Foodie ladies. Missy is still sharing my Crockpot Apple Sausage stuffing recipe on the air. If you’re not in the Oregon/ SW Washington area, you won’t be able to listen, but lucky you…. I’m posting the recipe for you here. It will make you drool.
I host Thanksgiving every year and have been using my crockpot slow cooker to make my stuffing, since oven space is at a premium. Whether you call it stuffing or dressing, it’s all the same, right? I suppose stuffing would be stuffed inside the bird. This is stuffed into your slow cooker.
- 1½ cup chopped onion
- 1½ cup diced celery
- Many stores carry the stuffing starter mixes that include celery, onion & spices. I use 3 cups.
- (optional) 1 small can water chestnuts - Chopped
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple - chopped (I leave the skin on)
- 12 cups dried bread cubes (13 oz bag)
- 4 large leaves fresh rubbed sage- diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 cup butter- melt
- 8 - 16 oz ground pork sausage
- 2 cans (15 oz cans) or one 33 oz box of Chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Grease slow cooker with butter or spray pam
- Place bread cubes, pecans into a large mixing bowl
- Saute sausage with the onion, celery, apples, water chestnuts and seasonings.
- Add sausage mixture to bread cubes
- Slowly pour melted butter over the bread cubes mixing gently.
- Slowly pour chicken broth until moist. Save remaining broth to use later if needed.
- Pour into your slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours
- Options: Add raisins or dried cranberries