With the colder weather, it’s pretty common for me to have a pot of chili simmering for dinner. I love cornbread with my chili, and I love avocados. I got a crazy idea to mix the two. I looked up Avocado Recipes to find that it’s pretty common to bake with avocados. They make a great substitute for butter. I’ve been wanting to try this Mexican Corn Bread recipe from Mique at 30 Handmade Days.
I experimented and changed it quite a bit, but it was still delicious! The avocados made it SO moist! It was a hit with the family and the perfect complement to our chili. Anytime I can work healthy fats into my diet, I do it!
- 1 c. Avocado ( 1 1/2 regular size avocados)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 can cream style corn (1 lb can, use 1/2)
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 small can sliced olives
- 1 c. chopped cooked bacon
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 1 c. corn meal
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat your oven 350 degrees
- In one bowl, mix flour, corn meal, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream sugar and avocado, add eggs and continue to mix.
- Add olives, cheese, corn, and bacon. Mix
- Add flour mixture slowly. Mix
- Pour into a greased and floured baking dish 9x13 or round baking dish.
- Once placed into the oven, reduce the heat to 300 degrees.
- Bake 50-60 min.