This easy to make Countdown to Christmas Craft can be used year after year!
The next couple of weeks you’re going to be busy getting ready for Thanksgiving and then we are off to the races getting ready for Christmas.
I’m partnering with DecoArt for a fun and easy Chalkboard paint project where I’m showing you how to make a quick Countdown to Christmas sign! I’m adding a video tutorial also, just in case you need it.
Countdown to Christmas Craft
I’ve been dying to create something with those wood slabs with the bark around the edges. I love them and knew they would be perfect for this project!
How to Make a Countdown to Christmas
Gather your Supplies
Affiliate links for products listed are for your convenience only. This costs you nothing extra. If you happen to purchase anything as a result of clicking, TCL will receive a small percentage. Thank you for your support. This allows me to continue to offer you free content.
- Wood plank (any wood piece would do, it doesn’t have to have the bark around it. Found it at Michaels)
- DecoArt Chalkboard paint
- DecoArt Metallic Red paint
- Stencil of your choice
- Paint your plank with chalkboard paint. Use even strokes and allow to dry between coats. I used one coat, but if you’d like, go ahead and add another. Can’t hurt.
- Once it’s dry, tape your stencil where you want it, and apply a metallic paint to fill the interior of your stencil. Lift the stencil up gently.
- You can just let the paint dry, or if you’re adding glitter like I did, you’ll want to sprinkle a generous amount of glitter over the wet paint. Holding the plank at an angle, tap the wood plank to allow the excess glitter to fall off. Once the glitter is dry, use a soft bristle brush to get any stray glitter off.
- After the paint and glitter are dry, prep your chalkboard by scraping your chalk over the entire chalkboard surface. Take a damp cloth or sponge and wipe the chalk off. When it dries, it will now look like a used chalkboard.
- Add your bow with either large glue dots or your hot glue gun. Add any holiday picks for extra style.
Set your Christmas Countdown on an easel for easy daily editing and you are good to go!
More DIY Christmas Ideas
Candy Cane Christmas Trees Craft
This post was brought to you by DecoArt. DecoArt compensated me for my time and effort in creating this project. My opinions about DecoArt products are all mine!
barbara macaskill says
This is so pretty and easy too! Thanks for the inspiration!
How did I not see this already?! I love it, too cute Kim! xo
Chris Wallace says
Where did you buy the wood?
I found it at Michaels.
Such a simple and inexpensive way to do a countdown! The glittered reindeer is adorable, hopefully you also make another one for New Year.
This is just beautiful. I really like it. Thank you for sharing.
Traci (@beneathmyheart) says
That is so cute, Kim! I LOVE it! I might make me one too. 🙂
creole wisdom says
Love, love, love this! Especially the plaid bow 🙂