about kim

ABOUT KIM

Kim is the owner and founder of Today's Creative Life where she has been dishing up a creative slice of life since 2007. Today’s Creative Life brings simple and creative ways to celebrate the everyday. You’ll find practical, stylish and clever decorating ideas, DIY projects, delicious family-friendly recipes, free printables, holiday inspiration and more! Life is more fun when it's creative! Read more...

Become a VIP & gain access to the Printable Vault!

Join me! You'll gain access to all my printables for free and you'll get all the latest Recipes & DIY information straight to your inbox!

Comments

1. Michelle says

Hi,

I followed you over from Somewhat Simple’s Link Party and these look delicious!

Have a great day,
    Michelle

2. Debi says

And yes, Melanie, some celiac people can’t tolerate oats at all- GF or run-of-the mill. True that- but at least having the uncontaminated version to try will allow some people to enjoy them. I have a study here in my files that measured the satiety of a gluten free diet that includes oats, v. one that doesn’t. Oats were found to add a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction for people eating gluten free, and the study even suggested that they were less tempted to venture outside the safe GF zone if they had the chewiness of the oats to fill that gap. (The study was probably funded by the GF Oats Lobby 🙂 Ha!)

3. Debi says

Thankfully, Trader Joe’s now carries “Gluten Free Oats”. Now, what in tarnation could be the difference between GF oats and REGULAR oats? Well, oats are by nature gluten free. However, not all people with celiac and gluten sensitivities can tolerate them. Why? Because of the way these gluten free oats are grown and processed. Farming practice dictates that oats and wheat are grown in rotation- that is, one year, the field will be planted with wheat, and the next it will be planted with oats. Just the fact that the oat field alternates space with wheat is enough to cross-contaminate those lovely oats; gluten free oats have to be grown in specially isolated fields, harvested and transported in machinery and trucks that have never been in contact with wheat or barley or rye, and processed and packled in certified gluten free processing plants. So, class, that’s the difference between run-of-the-mill (pun intended) oats and gluten free (and more expensive!) oats. Hope this helps with the confusion- and thank you, Miss Kim, for posting a gluten free recipe! Hope your trip is going well 🙂 Debi

• Melanie Gray Augustin says

Thanks for that! I’ve been rather confused. It’s funny, here in Australia anything with oats has a blanket ban for coeliacs and I’ve never seen gf oats here. It would be lovely to add them back into my diet. I’ll have to see if I can get some, we do have a few online stores that sell American foods.

4. amy says

In my mind the best thing about a kitchen aid mixer is using it to shred chicken breasts! I have to ask though…….did you get a fun color? Mine is an apple green that I love!

• Kim says

oooh, Apple Green would be fun! Mine is white……plain white. But I either wanted the stainless steal or white. That way when my fickle decorating personality changes, it will always go with it.

5. Melanie Gray Augustin says

They sound delicious!

I do have to ask though… is Trader Joes saying that oats are gluten free? Even though there is some debate over it, in Australia, for coeliacs, oats are considered not to be gluten free.

• Melanie Gray Augustin says

Sorry, just did a search… apparently oats are technically gf but 1 in 5 coeliacs also have an intolerance to oats and have a gluten-like reaction to them. I fall in that 20% that can’t eat them 🙁

• Kim says

Yes, they say Gluten Free on the package and list the recipe as Gluten free. Thanks for the info. Hope you’re doing well!

6. nancy says

Thnaks for the recipe!. My daughter has been diagnosed celiac recently at 26 and it is not easy! I am trying to change our family recipes to gluten free but oatmeal cookiea are her fav , so I will try yours!
    ~Nancy