Slow Cooker Sunday recipes are a busy families best friend!
Yay! It’s Slow Cooker Sunday and I am thrilled to share these Slow Cooker Orange Chicken Rice Bowls!
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken Rice Bowls Recipe
One of my son’s favorite fast food meals is the Orange Chicken from Panda Express. With soccer practices getting over around 8pm, I hate to admit how often we frequent that place to pick him up an after practice “snack”. Kids love the stuff.
I’ll never forget giving a ride home to another teammate and since I needed to get Lucas dinner, I had Lucas ask his friend if he liked Panda…… all I hear is “Duuude, I LOOOVE Panda’s orange chicken”. For some reason it totally made me giggle and suddenly feel better about my son’s latest fast food obsession.
I’ve since stocked my freezer with the Trader Joe’s orange chicken and their frozen brown rice. Add some veggies and it’s another quick meal!
I was thrilled when Allyson from Domestic Superhero sent me this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken recipe for rice bowls. I can’t wait to try it. She says it’s delicious and she’s made it twice in the same week! It would be great to have this waiting for me instead of waiting in the drive through line. (which by the way….. we were stuck in last week! It took us 30 minutes to order and then get our food……which was wrong. And at 9:15 at night….they gave us 5 coupons for free entree’s in the future…….but guess what? They were already expired! SO NOT COOL!)
I’m sure this recipe will be much healthier and probably tastier…. I KNOW it will be much more convenient!
- Makes 4-5 rice bowls
- nonstick spray
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup orange preserves
- 1 TBS soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In the pot of a slow cooker, spray to coat with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, mix together orange preserves, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic, and ginger; pour mixture into bottom of slow cooker. Add chicken on top, stir carefully to coat chicken.
- Place lid on top. Cook for 5-6 hours on high, or 7-8 hours on low. Remove chicken from slow cooker; shred using 2 forks. Place shredded chicken back into slow cooker and stir to coat with sauce.
- To serve: Add ½ cup rice to a bowl, then top with shredded chicken, sesame seeds, and green onions. Repeat to make all bowls. Enjoy!
Because I know you love your slow cooker as much as I do, here’s a few more crock pot recipes! I also own Stephanie O’Deas Slow Cooker Cook books…. they are FULL of great family recipes. (affiliate link)
I also have a whole pinterest board dedicated to Slow Cooker and Crock pot recipes. I’m sure you’ll find something interesting there.