Fall is the perfect time to add a touch of warmth and coziness to your living space. These Fall DIY Decor Projects are budget-friendly and perfect for helping you create a cozy atmosphere. I’m sharing a Fall DIY decor idea using image transfer paper, a vintage botanical pumpkin graphic, and table linens to create a beautiful table for Fall and Thanksgiving. I’m also sharing 14 incredible Thanksgiving Table Ideas from a few of my favorite blogger friends.
Fall DIY Decor Project Ideas
It’s always more fun to decorate for the seasons or holidays when you have something new, but I don’t think it’s necessary to shop or buy new home decor just because. I’m a huge fan of using what you have in a new way and creating new DIY decor with items you already own or from your craft supply. If you’re a regular Today’s Creative Life reader, then you know how much I love creating DIY home decor using iron-on transfer paper. I’ve made more pillow covers than I can remember, but it’s such an easy and budget-friendly way to spruce up your home.
How to Make Iron-on DIY Decor
Making iron-on transfer DIY fall decor for your home is one of the easiest DIY projects you can do. So if you don’t consider yourself “crafty”, this is a perfect way to exercise your creativity and not get frustrated. You’ll need the following:
- Iron-on Transfer Paper for Light Colored Fabric – I order from Amazon or find them at Michaels. One pack is usually 10 sheets and runs you about $12.
- Graphics – I have both of these ready to download in The Printable Vault. Subscribe if you haven’t and your password will be sent to you.
- Your Blank – Blanks are what you’re going to use to iron on your design. I usually find Pillow covers from Ikea or I like these simple cotton ones on Amazon that come in a 4-pack for $15.99. For this fall table craft, I am using this linen cotton blend table runner and some napkins I already had. I love these napkins with the frayed edge, but the color I ordered wasn’t right for this project.
- Iron – A simple iron will work but I also use my Cricut EasyPress.
- Scissors – you’ll need to trim the paper around your design once printed.
- Ink Jet Printer – You’ll need a printer to print your design. Photo printers will give you a better color quality.
- Iron- On Transfer Paper
- Cotten Linen Blend Blank Table Runner and napkins (just don't use polyester)
- Botanical Pumpkin Design - find it in The Printable Vault.
- Inkjet Printer
- Gather your supplies.
- Place the transfer paper in your printer according to the package directions. You should be printing on the matt un-striped side.
- Open your downloaded pumpkin image or use any image you'd like. If you're using text, you'll need to reverse the image before printing so the text isn't backward.
- Print the large copy for the table runner and the sheet with 4 pumpkins for the napkins.
- Trim each image out leaving a half inch around the design.
- Set your iron on the cotton setting with no steam. Iron your material to remove wrinkles and moisture.
- Place the cutout image face down on your material where you want it.
- Iron with no steam for about 30 seconds, moving the iron around as you would iron any fabric. Check the package directions if needed. If you're using an EasyPress, I used it at 350° for 30 seconds and you hold it in place.
- Allow the newly ironed design to cool.
- Peel and reveal your design.
Access to The Printable Vault is free for subscribers. A password will be sent to you. You can subscribe here.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
DIY Thanksgiving Table Runner and Napkins
Of course, you can use this DIY fall craft anytime in the fall to decorate your table, but my intention was to create it for Thanksgiving. I love the vintage botanical pumpkin graphic and thought it would look so cute on a linen cotton table runner and matching napkins. The fall craft took me less than 30 min and it looks so nice on my table! It will be perfect for the Thanksgiving holiday. It also goes along with my DIY fall pillows you can see peeking out in the back. Those are also iron-on designs.
Budget-Friendly DIY Fall Decor
Using iron-on transfer paper is a very economical way to create DIY home decor anytime of year. Each package has at least 10 sheets. I also stock up on blanks for pillow covers, table runners, napkins, dish towels etc.. Another budget-friendly way to decorate for Fall is by printing frameable wall art. I have a full tutorial on how to do this with any image. I love using botanicals of course. Check out the TCL Shop for a few of my own.
Thanksgiving Table Ideas
Setting the table for Thanksgiving can sometimes be overwhelming. I’ve joined together with 14 other blogger friends to share table inspiration on putting together your Thanksgiving table this year. All the links are below this gorgeous collage.
Late Fall Moody Tablescape | Craftberry Bush
Thanksgiving Tablescape 2023 | Rooms For Rent
How to Style and Set a Thanksgiving Table | The Tattered Pew
Effortless Thanksgiving Table Setting: Quick Tips for Last-Minute Hosts | She Gave It A Go
How to Make a Simple Pumpkin Floral Arrangement for Thanksgiving | Midwest Life and Style
How to create an organic modern Thanksgiving table setting | My Sweet Savannah
Thanksgiving Table with Mismatched Dishes | DIY Beautify
Fall Thanksgiving Table | Hallstrom Home
How to Decorate a Thanksgiving Table for a Crowd | Pasha is Home
Tips for an Easy Thanksgiving Tablescape | The Handmade Home
How to Decorate a Round Table for Thanksgiving | Modern Glam Home
Thanksgiving No-Carve Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece | Tatertots and Jello