You’re going to love this Chocolate Caramel Shortbread recipe that starts with a foundation of flaky shortbread, layered with caramel, and topped with chocolate. If you love a good shortbread, these dark chocolate shortbreads also look really good!
My friend Leigh Anne is sharing this recipe with all the TCL readers today. She shared this Cherry Berry Compote a while ago. We’re in for a treat!
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Recipe
Have you ever gone to an event and eaten something and totally fallen love? So much so that you can’t get it off of your mind. So much that had to come home and try and recreate this layered shortbread cookie with chocolate and caramel recipe myself.
I think I did pretty well coming up with a copy of the recipe I tasted.
Several months ago I attended a Gymanfa-Ganu. Now if you have no idea what that is or how to pronounce, no worries. Neither did I. It is pronounced guh-mahn-vah GAH-nee and it is a Welsh hymn-singing festival. It literally means “sing gathering.” It is a tradition of song and worship that has been practiced in Wales for centuries. We have a Welsh community just outside of Portland and some friends invited Tessa and me to join them at the annual Gymanfa-Ganu. Always game for a new adventure we went. It was held in a small, quaint little white church out in the country. The church was full and we spent two hours singing beautiful Welsh hymns together.
The main purpose of the event is to bring people together to celebrate and enjoy being Welsh.
After the singing, they had a traditional Welsh tea in the Grange Hall down the road. The food was amazing and my plate was overflowing. But the best part was these delicious Chocolate Caramel Shortbread cookies. They were so good that I was sad I had only taken one! My friend Sara bought the little cookbook they had for sale but unfortunately, the shortbread cookie recipe wasn’t in there – so thanks to Google I was able to find something similar.
Millionaire’s Shortbread Cookie Recipe
Some may know this recipe as the Millionaire’s Shortbread because they are so rich with layers of crumbly shortbread and layers of caramel and chocolate. The original shortbread cookie I tasted was thinner than the one I am sharing today but I actually think this shortbread recipe might be a bit better!
Both are very delicious and decadent and you can’t go wrong choosing to make it.
How to Make your Caramel Stick Better
The process involves three layers – the shortbread, the caramel and then the chocolate on top.
One trick I learned was to refrigerate the bars in between each layer. Makes the caramel stick better and the chocolate spread easier. If your caramel is too thin, you can thicken your caramel sauce by following these directions.
Do you Refrigerate Caramel Chocolate Shortbread?
Refrigerating your cookies will make the caramel and chocolate easier to serve, especially if it’s a warm climate. To keep your cookies fresh, store in a cool dry place or the fridge in an airtight container and eat within 2 weeks.
How to Make Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies
- 1 1/3 C butter, softened
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 2 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1 C butter
- 1 C light brown sugar, packed
- 4 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 C sweetened, condensed milk
- 2 C milk chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a food processor pulse together 1 1/3 cup butter, white sugar and flour. Pulse until crumbly and combined.
- Press mixture into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Poke with a fork after removing from oven. Cool and then freeze for 30 minutes
- In a heavy 2 qt pan combine 1 C butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and milk. Bring to boil and boil for 5 minutes. Then remove from heat and beat for 3 minutes with a wooden spoon. It will thicken up.
- Remove shortbread from freezer and pour caramel mixture over the top. Refrigerate until firm and cooled.
- Melt chocolate in a microwaveable bowl for one minutes, check and then continue for 30 seconds at a time until melted. Add in butter and stir until butter melts and chocolate is a good spreading consistency.
- Pour over caramel layer and spread evenly.
- Chill again. Cut into small squares.
Recipe adapted from www.allrecipes.com
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 769Total Fat 48gSaturated Fat 30gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 115mgSodium 363mgCarbohydrates 79gFiber 2gSugar 57gProtein 7g
Who can resist chocolate and caramel? Put that on top of shortbread and you’ve got pure heaven.
These bars would make a lovely addition to any tea party, holiday cookie plate or just about anything!