I make potato soup often in my crockpot, but I hadn’t tried making crockpot baked potato soup. I thought with the weather getting cooler, this would be the perfect recipe to try for Slow Cooker Sunday. I think I love making soup the most in my slow cooker, with my Crockpot Tomato Ravioli and Pasta Fagioli being some of my favorites.
Crockpot Baked Potato Soup
I searched around the internet to see all the different ways to make baked potato soup. I’m not sure why it’s called “baked” since the potatoes aren’t really baked, but it does make it sound more appetizing. I decided to check out my friend Stephanie’s recipe, since she’s the crockpot queen and used her recipe.
This recipe called for using an immersion blender…..with the option to leaving the potatoes chunky. Which we have decided we are chunky potato soup people…….so next time…..no immersion blender for me. (although it’s super fun to use) This recipe also called for 2 bricks of cream cheese and as much as I LOVE cream cheese, this made it more rich than my little tummy could handle, although it was DELICIOUS. The next time I make this, I’ll try evaporated milk and just a small amount of cream cheese.
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced into small chunks
- 1 teeny onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper ( I didn't use this)
- 2 quarts Chicken Broth (I used Trader Joes)
- 2 bricks Cream cheese (8oz each)
- Crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese and green onions for garnish (optional)
- Use a 6 quart or larger slow cooker. Peel and dice the potatoes. Larger chunks will take longer to cook. Place them into the stoneware.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Sprinkle in the seasonings
- Add chicken broth
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4.
- The potatoes should be fork tender. You can use a potato masher or immersion blender if wanted.
- If you want a chunky soup, do not mash or blend.
- Crumble in your cream cheese and put the lid back on for another 30 min on High.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon, green onion or chives and a bit of cheddar cheese.
DO NOT copy and paste full recipe into Pinterest or Facebook.
Nutrition InformationServing Size serves 4-6 people, depending on how big your bowls
Amount Per Serving Calories 0 Total Fat 0g
Find more Slow Cooker Recipes HERE!