With all that goes on in life, it can be easy to forget to clean some things in your home. And unfortunately, spring cleaning once a year isn’t often enough to keep most things clean and free of dirt. If you’ve been wondering how often you should be cleaning things to keep them looking their best, then you’ll like this guide on How Often Should You Clean Things in Your Home! This printable cleaning schedule will help keep you organized. You can find more cleaning and household printable schedules here.
How Often Should You Clean Things in Your Home?
What to Clean Once a Year
- Carpet- While you may need to do simple spot cleans throughout the year, most people don’t need to give their carpets a good deep clean more than once a year. The beginning of summer can be a good time, as you can wash away all the pollen you tracked in during the spring. Having pets will also determine how often should you clean your carpets.
- Fireplace- If you’re lucky enough to have a fireplace, you’ll want to hire a chimney sweep in the spring, after you’re done lighting your winter fires.
- Window Screens- Summer is a good time to take your windows’ screens off and wipe them down.
Every 6 Months Cleaning Schedule
- Mattress- When you’re thinking about how often you should clean things, it’s very likely that you fmay not think of your mattress! A quick vacuum and wipe down is enough to clean most mattresses. Try sprinkling baking soda on top, let it sit, then vacuum.
- Oven- If your oven has a self-clean setting, use that occasionally. Otherwise, you’ll want to clean your oven by hand at least twice a year.
- Pillows- Pillowcases don’t keep pillows completely clean! See how to wash pillows.
- Windows- You should wash your windows (inside and out) at least twice a year.
- Window Treatments (curtains, blinds, etc.)– It may not necessarily be easy to take down and put back up heavy curtains or long blinds, but it’s necessary if you want to keep them clean!
- Slipcovers- If they are used daily, you may want to wash more frequently.
What to Clean Every Month
- Washing Machine- I’m always surprised by how dingy ours gets around the top opening!
- Dryer- Don’t forget your dryer when considering how often you should clean things! You’ll especially want to keep the lint trap clear, as built up lint can be a fire hazard.
- Refrigerator- How often you should clean your fridge varies based on how neat you are when using it. But as long as you’re not spilling things often, once a month is frequent enough to keep your fridge clean.
- Fan Vents- The vents in your walls and ceilings can trap a lot of dust!
- Coffeemaker- If coffeemakers get dirty enough, they stop working. Make sure that doesn’t happen!
- Ceiling Fan- Ceiling fans can catch a lot of dust and allergens, so clean them at least once a month!
- Grout- While cleaning grout isn’t the most fun activity, it’s worth it to keep from having dingy looking grout.
Every Week Cleaning Schedule
- Bathrooms (toilets, shower liners, bathtubs, etc.)- To keep your home’s bathrooms sanitary, you’ll want to clean them at least once a week.
- Bed linens- Everyone likes to sleep in clean sheets!
- Rugs- Rugs in your bathroom, hallways, etc. need to be vacuumed at least once a week. Also, lift them up and vacuum under them.
- Computer Keyboard + Mouse- Your keyboard and mouse can actually hold a lot of bacteria and oils from your hands!
What to Clean Every Day
- Kitchen Sink– To keep your sink clean, wipe it down daily. Also, clean the drain/garbage disposal. Hot soapy water with a scouring pad or magic eraser works great!
- Kitchen Counter- Spray down your counters with disinfectant every day, especially after making a meal where you had to prepare raw meat.
- Kitchen + Cleaning Sponges- To keep your sponges clean, all you have to do is wet them, then microwave them for two minutes!
Do you usually remember to clean things this often?