This is such a simple paper lantern tutorial. Paper crafts are always one of my favorite DIY ideas!
I’m going a bit overboard with the outdoor candles & patio lighting, but I love them! I showed my favorites when I was on AMNW Local News show and now I’m showing you a simple simple tutorial for making a quick paper lantern. I like simple. I made these to slip over my favorite glass pillar candles that I pick up at my local dollar store.
Paper Lantern Tutorial
There are fancier ones out there, but I love how fast and simple these are. I don’t plan on keeping them for an extended period of time and it was a fast way to make a centerpiece.
How to Make a Paper Lantern
- Patterned Scrapbook paper or cardstock – affiliate link
- jars – I used the $1 tall candles from The Dollar Tree
- Votive Candles or flameless votives.
- Cut your paper to the desired size. I used 8×8, because I wanted them skinny. Play around with different sizes to find what you need.
- Fold your paper in half. If you’re working with a paper size that isn’t even………like a 12 x 8, be sure to fold it so your lantern the right direction needed for the desired dimensions.
- I used my paper cutter, cutting the folded end and all the way in……leaving about an 1/2 inch uncut from the end. This can be done with scissors or an exacto knife, but I find the paper cutter easier and safer.
- Unfold and attach the ends with adhesive. If it doesn’t look right, you probably have the wrong ends attached.
Place your finished lantern over a jar or votive and enjoy!
Of course, be careful whenever you’re using a real flame.