This is such a simple paper lantern tutorial. Learning how to make a paper lantern was quick and fun. Paper crafts are always one of my favorite DIY ideas!
I’m going a bit overboard with the outdoor candles & patio lighting, but I love them! I showed my favorites when I was on AMNW Local News show and now I’m showing you a simple tutorial for making a quick paper lantern. I like simple. I made these to slip over my favorite glass pillar candles that I pick up at my local dollar store.
I also love making Tin Can Lanterns too!
Paper Lantern Tutorial
There are fancier ones out there, but I love how fast and simple these are. I don’t plan on keeping them for an extended period of time and it was a fast way to make a centerpiece.
How to Make Paper Lanterns
- Patterned Scrapbook paper or cardstock – affiliate link
- jars – I used the $1 tall candles from The Dollar Tree
- Votive Candles or flameless votives.
Learning how to make paper lanterns is so easy and brings quick party decor when needed. Like these Chinese New Year Decorations.
- Cut your paper to the desired size. I used 8×8 because I wanted them skinny. Play around with different sizes to find what you need.
- Fold your paper in half. If you’re working with a paper size that isn’t even………like a 12 x 8, be sure to fold it so your lantern the right direction needed for the desired dimensions.
- I used my paper cutter, cutting the folded end and all the way in……leaving about a 1/2 inch uncut from the end. This can be done with scissors or an Exacto knife, but I find the paper cutter easier and safer.
- Unfold and attach the ends with adhesive. If it doesn’t look right, you probably have the wrong ends attached.
Place your finished lantern over a jar or votive and enjoy!
Now you’ve learned how to make paper lanterns! Of course, be careful whenever you’re using a real flame.
Marketplace tile is my fav. I love to download and find cool new apps.
jane w says
I love the photo tile so I can easily show and organize my photos.
marilyn j says
Marketplace tile is my fav. I love to shop and browse.
The pink live tile is my favorite. 🙂
Courtney H. says
The email tile is the one I would use the most!
april j says
Marketplace tile because I love to browse and shop for everything!
I love the friends Live Tile because I love keeping up with my family and friends!!
J Wright says
The photos tile rocks
Love the lantern, these would be so cute to line a walk way!
I like the combination tiles to have multiple apps open at all times is awesome! I have an older phone but would love to have all of my online options in one place, I also love the photo tile(;
Thank you for the opportunity!
the marketplace tile
Ron Miller says
Facebook tile, being pink it’ll go to the wife & her nickname is ‘facebooker’
jessica w says
I like the people tile the best, it makes it fun to find who you want to call
Favorite would have to be internet explorer, I always want to be connected 🙂 OR Music and Videos, close second.
I like Microsoft
Amy Hay says
I really like the music tile. I love listening to music on my phone. Thanks for sharing. Oh, I would use the pink phone with the pink theme.
Courtney Howard says
I think the tile I would use the most is the email one! I love the convenience of smartphones!