One of the easiest things you can make is Chili Cheese Fries! They make the perfect comfort food for so many situations! Chili Cheese Fries are great anytime of year, but especially for football season! I’ll be making these and a few other delicious appetizer recipes for the super bowl.
Chili Cheese Fries Skillet Recipe
I first started making these when we were housebound from a snowstorm. My son had a house full of friends who had come to sled down our hill and we all know how hungry kids will get, especially when they’ve been active and in the snow.
I knew they’d be starving and since I hadn’t been able to make it to the grocery store the past few days, the pickin’s were getting slim. That’s when I headed to the freezer! I had frozen French fries and I had a couple of bags! I grabbed a couple of cans of chili and created comfort food that would fill them up in no time! I wish I would have made this easy vegetarian chili to layer it with.
They loved it! So much, that it became a staple for whenever they all gathered here.
I’m a firm believer that if you feed them good food, they will want to hang out at your house! Having a designated teen hangout helps too!
I love the fries at Trader Joe’s. They are never processed and they have a few varieties. They are real slices of potatoes with the skin still on!
I usually just make them on a baking sheet, but every now and then I grab my mom’s cast iron skillet. So whatever is easiest for you, is just perfect.
If I have a large crowd, a baking pan makes much more sense because you can make a larger batch.
It’s all about layering the cheese, then topping with your favorite canned chili. Don’t like beans? The chili without beans is perfect too. You really can’t mess this recipe up.
It’s hard for me to even call it a recipe, it’s more of a method. I always bake the fries alone first and warm up the chili separately. This way I know everything is hot!
- 1 bag frozen French fries
- 1 regular can chili - Choose your favorite chili. I used turkey chili.
- salt - just a sprinkle.
- 1½ cups shredded cheese - I usually use cheddar and a bit of Mozzarella.
- On a lightly greased baking pan or ovenproof skillet, cook fries according to package instructions.
- While the fries are baking, heat up the chili on the stove top.
- When the fries are finished, sprinkle with salt and ½ cup cheese over the hot potatoes.
- By the spoonful, scoop chili over the cheese and fries.
- Top with remaining cheese and place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Garnish with sour cream and onions
Another great option is adding crumbled Cotija Cheese.
The next time your needing to feed a small crowd, or you need the perfect appetizers and party food, make these Chili Cheese Fries and everyone will be happy!
More Easy Appetizer Recipes