Making DIY Drink Coasters from 4-inch ceramic tiles, printable decorative paper and Mod Podge is a fun craft that makes a great gift too.
These make great homemade gift ideas any time of year. Hostess gifts, holiday gifts, birthday gifts! Who knew a ceramic tile with decorative scrapbook paper or printed paper applied with Mod Podge would make the cutest DIY drink coasters!
DIY Drink Coasters
I’ve made many sets of ceramic tile coasters. Every time I make a new set, I claim them to be my favorite. I’ve made DIY Tartan plaid coasters, DIY botanical flower coasters, and even made holiday coasters using my Cricut.
But these shibori-inspired tie dye papers are so on trend and perfect for summer! Of course, you can use any patterned scrapbook paper too.
How to Make DIY Drink Coasters
- 4-inch white ceramic tiles – My girlfriend gave me a whole box of these, but you can find them at your local home improvement store.
- Patterned Paper – Download these designs here.
- Mod Podge – Matte or Glossy.
- Foam Brush
- Gold Leaf Paint Pen
- Acrylic Spray Sealer
- Small Cork Discs – not pictured.
- Download and print. Find the free download in the Printable Vault. You must be a subscriber for access. Subscribe here and your password will be sent to you.
- Spray with Sealer – any papers you print will need to be sprayed on the front and the back. This is to prevent color bleeding when you start to decoupage onto the tile. My friend Amy from Mod Podge Rocks is who I go to for all decoupage questions. If you’re using store-bought paper for crafting, you’re good to skip this step. Be sure to spray in a well-ventilated area away from any flames, or outside. Allow to dry.
- Trim Papers. I make mine a little smaller than the tile, but they should be measured out perfectly for you on the printable.
- Brush on the first layer of Mod Podge directly on the tile.
- Place the paper down while right away, position, and apply a second layer over the paper. Push out any bubbles or creases if needed.
- Let it dry for at least 12 hours or more.
- Prime the Gold Leaf Pen as directed. Draw along the edges for a finished look.
- Turn the coaster over and apply a cork disc to each back corner.
- Spray the coasters with one last coat of sealer and allow to dry for another few hours before using.
That’s all there is to it! Now you know HOW TO MAKE DIY DRINK COASTERS! It’s such an easy craft project, that doesn’t take a lot of skill or expensive supplies.
More Decoupage Craft Ideas
Decoupaged Craft Room Trash Can
Leave a Reply