Update: I originally wrote How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies back in 2013. I am still using this non-toxic method for getting rid of those pesky insects now in 2017. Making your own homemade fruit fly trap is easy and inexpensive! It will also save your sanity!
Every year, starting in the late summer months, I start to notice them and even though there are many other methods, this is one of my tried and true ways that works every time for getting rid of fruit flies.
I have also been known to just fill a small dish with apple cider vinegar, and a drop of dish soap. I dip my finger in and run and run it along the edge of the dish to make it extra sticky.
How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies
The saving grace is at least they don’t bite. Every year, I Google How To Get Rid Of Fruit Flies and every year, I end up doing my tried and true method. It’s not pretty, but it’s pretty effective and it doesn’t take any fancy supplies. I have found that if I use the good apple cider vinegar, like Braggs or Trader Joes, the ones with the “mother”, it tends to work even better. The “mother” is the unfiltered sediment……so look for the unfiltered ACV.
How to Make a Fruit Fly Trap
Homemade Fruit Fly Trap Supplies
Affiliate links for products listed are for your convenience only. This costs you nothing extra. If you happen to purchase anything as a result of clicking, TCL will receive a small percentage. Thank you for your support. This allows me to continue to offer you free content.
- Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
- Plastic Wrap (I like the press and seal kind best)
- rubber band (only if you use the regular plastic wrap)
- something sharp to poke a hole in the plastic wrap, like a toothpick
You don’t need a full bottle. I hate using a new bottle and prefer to use one that’s almost gone. Fruit flies don’t drink much. (If you only have a full bottle, use a glass like my friend Stephanie did for her fruit fly trap. Or this chemical free fruit fly trap).
- Taking the cap off the vinegar, simply press a piece of plastic wrap over the top making it tight over the top of the bottle.
- Using something sharp and round like a toothpick, poke a few holes into the top.
- You only need a few. The fruit flies will climb into the hole and are too dumb to find their way out. Or maybe they’re too drunk? It’s a happy death.
- You may see them gathering at the top. It may take them a second to figure out how to climb into the hole, but they will.
- Place your new non-toxic fruit fly trap where you see the most fruit flies and just wait for a few minutes.
- See all those fruit flies? And that was only 10 minutes after using my homemade fruit fly trap. Those are all fruit flies that are no longer driving me crazy!!! This was only after about 10 minutes.
Now I suppose I could keep all my fruit in the fridge……….but come on…….banana’s do not like being in the fridge.
Now you know how to get rid of fruit flies the easy way!
More Helpful Household Ideas