This easy Red, White and Blue Memorial Day Craft can be used for all patriotic holidays. It’s also perfect for simple holiday decorating for the 4th of July and Labor Day too.
Memorial Day Craft – DIY Patriotic Decor
Other than putting the flag out, I usually don’t decorate for Memorial Day. But if we’re having a BBQ on Memorial Day or the 4th of July, I do like a simple and festive idea for the table. Using items I already had, I was able to create DIY patriotic decor fairly quickly. These colored rice decorations turned out so stylish and cute!
I consider it a win if I can make cute budget-friendly DIY home decor.
How to Use a Patriotic Memorial Day Craft
- Luminaires – Make patriotic luminaires for Memorial Day, the 4th of July or Labor Day. Place a votive on top and press it down just a little. Or try using them as a candle holder with a tapered candle. Line a table or walkway with a few of them for a creative look.
- Table Decor – Layered red, white and blue colored rice jars are great on their own, grouped together or in a line.
- Miniature Flag Holder – Stick a couple of the small American flags in the rice for quick table decor.
- Buffet Food Label Holder – Make up smaller ones in baby food jars, then write the name of a food dish on a popsicle stick and push into the jar to hold.
How to Make Red, White & Blue Colored Rice
I’ve used this same idea to make Colored Rice DIY Easter Decorations.
Colored Rice Supplies
- White Rice
- Food Coloring
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Baking Tray with parchment or wax paper
- Ziploc Plastic Bags
How to Color Rice
Colored Rice makes holiday decorating easy. It's also a fun craft for kids.
- Food coloring | liquid or gel
- Rubbing Alcohol
- White Rice (not instant)
- Plastic Ziploc baggies
- Parchment covered baking sheet or paper plates
- Place your rice inside the ziplock baggie
- Drop a few drops of rubbing alcohol inside with the rice
- Drip a few drops of food coloring, depending on how intense you want your rice, into the baggie
- Seal the baggie and mix around
- Once your rice is fully coated, pour onto a paper plate or cookie sheet and spread out to dry.
- Dry – I placed mine outside and it dried really quickly (about 10 min)
Pour into your jars, place a candle on top. (I would wait to light the candle in case the rubbing alcohol is still present.)
How Long Does Colored Rice Last?
To keep your color-dyed rice vibrate, store it in an airtight container and out of the sun. I’ve just used plastic baggies. You can use it for years. If you want to keep the layering in a jar, just put a lid on the jar and store it upright in a cool dark place.
Can I use this Memorial Day Craft for 4th of July?
Absolutely! Red, White & Blue DIY decor can be used for Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and even Pioneer Day (a holiday for the LDS community).
Try this craft with any color for any party, event, or holiday!
Patriotic DIY Ideas
Crafting and decorating ideas for all the Red, White, and Blue Holidays! 4th of July, Memorial Day, and Labor Day!
DIY Patriotic Door Decorations
Free Patriotic holiday printables.
DIY Patriotic Paper Garland
Create your own holiday star garland.
Patriotic Star Shaped Ice Cubes
Grab a star-shaped ice cube tray and create patriotic drinks!
DIY Patriotic USA Wall Art
Grab your supplies and get busy!
Free Patriotic Printables
More Red, White and Blue Printables.
Easy Patriotic Table Decor
Simple 4th of July decorations.
DIY Coasters - Patriotic Sewing Craft
Simple sewing project for the holidays.
Red White & Blue Patriotic Popcorn
Sweet treat for your 4th of July parties!
DIY Patriotic Wreath
Simple to make wreath!
Mickey Flag Shirt
Attention Disney Fans!
I saw this in a linky party and loved everything about it. I’m getting the food coloring and rice out tomorrow! Great ideas!
Kristin C. says
So cute! Every year I say I am going to do this with rice or beans and never do! I’m doing it this year, lol!
Linda @ it all started with paint says
What a clever idea! I had no idea it was quite so simple to color the rice. I think I may have to try this on the 4th!
Thanks so much for linking up Kim! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/summer-ideas/
Have a safe and fabulous holiday weekend!
OMG KIM, I love this idea and am totally “borrowing” it for our Memorial day BBQ. How fun!! Thanks for always having such great ideas.
Shannah @ Just Us Four says
Great idea! I love the colored rice in the jars. Very cute. You can probably even stretch it all the way to Labor Day too given the color scheme.
Pam Fields says
I love this idea! Pinned to use for our 4th party. Thanks for sharing.
I love this idea. simple and sweet looking!
This is so fun and simple Kim! I love it!
Mary @ Very Merry Vintage Style says
Love that jar with the little flags in it. Great idea & so easy to do. Stop by and link up if you have time.
I love the colored rice!!! You could do that for anytime of year with different colors. I’m thinking Halloween & Christmas!!! Pinned it.