This Slow Cooker Carrot Cake will have you rolling on the floor it’s so good!
Just like that, I start craving all the fall comfort foods once school starts. It’s time to whip up anything with apples, pumpkin, zucchini and carrots! Combine those fall cravings with my crockpot and I’m in heaven! It’s time to thumb through my Slow Cooker Sunday archives!
Slow Cooker Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
My friend Allyson from Domestic Superhero made this and sent me the recipe. Isn’t it just gorgeous? It’s a wonderful reminder just how easy cakes are to bake in our slow cookers! Have you tried it yet? If it’s your first time, I’d start with a crock pot lava cake. I have a Slow Cooker Butterscotch Vanilla Pudding Cake and a Crockpot Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cake that are perfect to start with. Those you’ll scoop out of the slow cooker, with no stress in flipping it.
Not that flipping is hard. I flipped this Slow Cooker Macadamia Brownie Cake and it was super easy! You just gotta start with a well greased crock.
What I love about crockpot cakes is they will never be dry and always super moist.
Once you flip this carrot cake, you can either frost it with cream cheese frosting, or maybe you want more of a glaze? Both would be fantastic!
- For cake:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- ⅓ cup raisins
- aluminum foil
- For frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a medium bowl, add sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt,and nutmeg; whisk gently to combine.
- Add oil, applesauce, vanilla, and eggs; mix until combined, but don’t over mix.
- Stir in carrots and raisins; set bowl aside.
- Using a 4 quart slow cooker, spray liberally with oil spray, or grease liberally with Crisco/butter. Pour carrot cake mixture into slow cooker. Place a sheet of aluminum foil across the top of the slow cooker, then place the lid on top of that; pressing down to seal.
- Cook on low for 3 hours. Turn off slow cooker and remove the slow cooker pot (insert), and set on wire rack. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Using a flat knife or frosting spreader, carefully run between the cake and insert. Carefully tip the insert upside down, over the wire rack, and guide the cake out with your hand. Set on wire rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- In the meantime you can prepare your frosting: In a stand mixer or with an electric mixer, add cream cheese and butter to a large bowl; beat on a medium high speed until mixture is completely smooth. Scrape down sides, add vanilla, and beat on medium for 30 seconds. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat on a slow setting (don’t want it to puff everywhere!) until it’s completely combined. Place in refrigerator until needed.
- Using a frosting knife or the backside of a spoon, carefully frost the cake. Sprinkle walnuts on the top of the cake/frosting. Slice and serve!
I think having a few crock pots in a variety of sizes is great! Now where to store them! Here’s a 4 quart Crock Pot I found on sale. (affiliate link)
If you’re like me, you’re always on the hunt for family friendly Crockpot recipes. I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to just slow cooker recipes of all kinds! Check it out!
For more Slow Cooker Sunday recipes.