Let’s kick off fall with a some Slow Cooker Spicy Sweet Potato Soup!
School starts and I suddenly want to make soup. My slow cooker seems to go into overdrive with the fall and winter months, although there are so many ways to use it in the summer. With all the apples and tomatoes I’m harvesting, I’ve been making a lot of Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce and Slow Cooker Apple Butter.
But today it’s all about sweet potatoes!
Slow Cooker Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
This isn’t your typical Sweet Potato Soup, this one has a kick to it. It gets its smoky kick from the adobe peppers and cumin, so if you’ve got little ones you may want to reduce the amount or eliminate completely. We’re not talking super spicy, but some kids may think so.
This rich flavored soup, along with a hunk of good bread and a salad is a complete dinner and easy! Not only will it be a healthy meal, but you’ll hopefully have enough for leftovers because you’ll be craving it the next day.
Even though I’m in my 50’s, I still like crackers in my soup and lots of them. But I’ll often throw a few large croutons into my soup instead and this Sweet Potato soup is perfect for that! Speaking of delicious soups, you’d probably enjoy this Fire Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper soup too!
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2-3 chilis in adobo sauce, roughly chopped (I used chipotle peppers in adobe sauce in a can)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup milk or cream (I like whole milk or cream)
- ¼ cup sour cream for garnish, optional
- In your large slow cooker, add sweet potatoes, chilis, onion, garlic, pepper, salt, cumin, and broth. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours (potatoes should be tender).
- Using an immersion blender, or transfer contents of slow cooker into a stand blender, blend mixture until smooth. Add milk or cream, and blend a few more seconds to combine.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with a bit of sour cream if desired.
You’ll want to use a large 6 quart or larger crock pot for this recipe. It’s a good investment, it’s the size I use the most often. I’d also pick up a couple of slow cooker cook books. My friend Stephanie has a few published and they never disappoint! See them here. (affiliate link)
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes from the Slow Cooker Sunday Archives
Find more Slow Cooker Recipes on my Crockpot and Slow Cooker Pinterest Board