Slow sweet potato soup is a delicious and hearty soup known for its rich, creamy texture and sweet, earthy flavor, making it a comforting and nutritious dish. Here’s a basic description of how to make crockpot sweet potato soup.
School starts and I suddenly want to make soup. My slow cooker seems to go into overdrive with the fall and winter months, although there are so many ways to use it in the summer. With all the apples and tomatoes I’m harvesting, I’ve been making a lot of Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce and Slow Cooker Apple Butter.
But today it’s all about sweet potatoes!
Slow Cooker Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
This isn’t your typical Sweet Potato Soup, this one has a kick to it. It gets its smoky kick from the adobe peppers and cumin, so if you’ve got little ones you may want to reduce the amount or eliminate completely. We’re not talking super spicy, but some kids may think so.
This rich flavored soup, along with a hunk of good bread and a salad is a complete dinner and easy! Not only will it be a healthy meal, but you’ll hopefully have enough for leftovers because you’ll be craving it the next day.
Even though I’m in my 50’s, I still like crackers in my soup and lots of them. But I’ll often throw a few large croutons into my soup instead and this Sweet Potato soup is perfect for that! Speaking of delicious soups, you’d probably enjoy this Fire Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper soup too!
How to Make Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
Gather your ingredients and your slow cooker. I used a 6 quart one.
- sweet potatoes
- chilis in adobo sauce
- garlic clove
- black pepper
- vegetable or chicken broth
- milk or cream
- sour cream
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2-3 chilis in adobo sauce, roughly chopped (I used chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup milk or cream (I like whole milk or cream)
- ¼ cup sour cream for garnish, optional
- In your large slow cooker, add sweet potatoes, chilis, onion, garlic, pepper, salt, cumin, and broth. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours (potatoes should be tender).
- Using an immersion blender, or transfer contents of slow cooker into a stand blender, blend mixture until smooth. Add milk or cream, and blend a few more seconds to combine.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with a bit of sour cream if desired.
Notes: this soup is amazing with some crusty bread for dipping! Soup also freezes great, transfer to freezer bags and freeze up to 4 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 583Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 65mgSodium 1468mgCarbohydrates 69gFiber 14gSugar 20gProtein 28g
We do our best to calculate, however, nutrition information may not be accurate.
Can You Make Spicy Sweet Potato Soup on the Stovetop?
You sure can! Just follow the same instructions, but obviously, you’d cook it for less time. Cook on medium until the sweet potatoes are cooked through enough to poke a fork easily into and carry on with the recipe.