If you’re looking for a delicious and satisfying soup this fall, this Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup is it!
The minute the leaves start to show just a hint of changing and there’s a chill in the air while watching our son play soccer…. it’s officially soup season! Especially Slow Cooker Soup season!
Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup Recipe
I swear the minute the season changed, it started raining. I’m not ready for it, but making soups like this slow cooker black bean soup will get me there.
I love a “dump it all” in type of crockpot meal that doesn’t require a lot of prep. The kind you can throw it all into the slow cooker in the morning and it’s magically ready at dinner time!
We drove up to Central Washington yesterday to tour Central Washington University for our son. It was foggy and drizzly when we left for our 3.5 hour drive, and I was kicking myself for starting this slow cooker soup! It would have been perfect to come home in the evening to a hot meal. We settled for smoked salmon and crackers since we were too lazy or tired to fix or go pick up anything else.
The only prep is chopping the celery and onion.
And opening up a few cans. Unless you want to make my no-soak your beans ahead of time. I usually make up a large batch and freeze them, which saves time and money in the end.
It’s going to look like this before you put the lid on and let it cook all day.
After 7 or 8 hours on LOW, you’ll have a delicious bowl of Black Bean Soup! You can cook it faster on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours if wanted.
- 2 Cans Black beans, drained
- 1 Can Corn, niblet
- 1 large Can Tomatoes, stewed (undrained)
- ½ Onion, large
- 2 ribs Celery, diced (include the celery leaves if available)
- ½ Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 4 C Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Salt and Pepper
- ½ - 1 tsp. Chili flakes, dried (your preference as to amount)
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker pot.
- Add the broth last so you can gauge the amount you will need without overfilling the pot.
- Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for approximately 3 -4 hours.
- When cooking is complete, you can serve as is, or puree slightly with an immersion blender.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some avocado.
Serve with these Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins or my Garlic Cheddar Beer Bread and you’ll be in heaven!
- The Best Tomato Soup – Happy Hooligans