Pumpkin Crunch Cake is also known as pumpkin dump cake that uses cake mix and canned pumpkin pie puree. This is one of our favorite fall recipes! I recently doctored it up a bit and now it’s Pumpkin Crunch Cake with Chocolate Chips.
Pumpkin Crunch Cake with Chocolate Chips Recipe
I first tasted Pumpkin Crunch Cake (pumpkin dump cake) a few years ago when my neighbor Joy served it for our bunco dessert. I thought I’d died and gone to heaven! She gave me the recipe and I’ve been making it ever since.
If you love pumpkin pie, then you’ll LOVE Pumpkin Crunch Cake too!
I recently made it for Game Day this past Saturday when the Ducks were playing. My in-laws were here, as well as my husband’s brother. Both my husband and his brother are U of O Alumni, so we made it an event. I made up my Game Day Taco Salad, my Game Day Sliders and then I realized I didn’t plan dessert. How in the world could I forget the most important dish? Pumpkin Crunch Cake with Chocolate Chips was going to be PERFECT! Next time I may try this Apple Pumpkin Dump Cake.
Since this is super easy to make, I threw it together the morning before everyone arrived. I did have to whip up my own pumpkin pie spice. Making my own allows me to customize it a little. I topped with whipped cream.
The house smelled amazing. It was a hit and my son had thirds.
How to Make a Pumpkin Dump Cake
Making a pumpkin crunch cake which is basically a dump cake is one of the easiest desserts you’ll make. You literally dump ingredients in. After you prepare your baking dish, you’ll mix together the pumpkin puree, milk, spices, eggs, and sugar and pour it (dump) into the baking dish. Then you’ll sprinkle a yellow cake mix over the top and pour melted butter over all of it and bake.
It makes you wonder how it all bakes up into the delicious Pumpkin Crunch Cake! You can serve with ice cream, whipped cream or just as is. I love to serve it while it’s still a bit warm.
- 1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree (regular size, not huge)
- 1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
- 1 cup butter or margarine – melted
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Whipped Cream for the topping
- Lightly grease 9×13 baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Mix well. I use a mixer, but you could use a wooden spoon.
- Pour into prepared pan
- Sprinkle cake mix over the top of the mixture.
- Pat down and spread nuts and chocolate chips evenly.
- Drizzle melted butter over the top.
- Bake 50-60 min.
- Top with whipped cream when serving…..if wanted. I prefer mine plain.
Have you made this? Tag @TodaysCreativeLife on Instagram!
If you’ve never made a Pumpkin Crunch Cake, then you MUST!