Raise your hand if you like Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup!
There is nothing better than knowing you have dinner cooking away in your crockpot. Having a hearty crock pot soup waiting for at the end of the day is pure heaven. Another favorite is my Crockpot Potato Soup! You just can’t go wrong with either of these!
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
I haven’t met one person who doesn’t love their crockpot! Bring up crockpot recipes around a group of women and you’ve got an instant conversation starter.
I started to make the Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup, using my 6-quart slow cooker and the recipe from my friend Stephanie’s book, Make it Fast – Cook it Slow cookbook as inspiration. I love all her slow cooker cookbooks and that’s not just because she’s a friend. All her recipes always turn out great for me!
Affiliate links are supplied for your shopping convenience.
I added a few other items she didn’t call for. That’s the beauty of crockpot recipes. You can pretty much dump anything in and it’s good. Before I knew it, I had created my own version with her direction.
If I know I’m going to make this soup, I’ll bake up a couple of chicken breasts in enchilada sauce, then shred for the soup. I may just add a little bit of that enchilada sauce to my soup too.
This recipe calls for Rotel diced tomatoes, which can give this crockpot chicken tortilla soup a bit of a kick. If you’ve got little kids, you may want to swap out the Rotel for regular diced tomatoes.
I couldn’t survive the school year with all it’s after school activities, soccer practices etc… without my crockpot. There is nothing more satisfying than having dinner ready at the time of day we are all the most tired. I don’t know about you, but my energy declines rapidly after 4pm. (yes, I’m one of those annoying morning people)
This soup is hearty and it goes well with corn tortillas. I like scooping out the chunky goodness to wrap up into my own little burrito. We’ve also been known to make “cheese chips” to go along with it. Just melted cheese on tortilla chips is perfect.
Or you could do the right thing and serve with a small side salad.
- 1½ cups shredded cooked chicken
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 (14oz) cans of diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 can (10oz) Rotel
- 1 can (15oz) Ranch Style Beans
- 1 cup chopped fresh veggies (celery, carrots)
- 4 garlic cloves chopped or crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 or 4 cups chicken broth (gauge how thick it looks, if it looks too thick, add the 4th cup)
- I (15oz) can white hominy (or add roasted corn, frozen or canned)
- Using a 4-quart slow cooker, add all your ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Adorn the top with sour cream, cubed avocado, olives, and crushed tortilla chips.