I’ve been making this Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe for a few years now. Using Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice as your starter gives you a quick recipe with a homemade taste.
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe
It’s perfect for those cold rainy days we have here in the PNW when you can’t seem to warm up. I can’t remember where I got the recipe, but it’s so simple! I love an easy and tasty recipe that’s also fast! This soup allows me to get a healthy dinner on the table when I’m pressed for time. Add a salad and a whole wheat roll and these cookies for dessert and you’re a rock star! My Bacon Avocado corn bread goes pretty good with this too.
Easy Chicken Soup
You may be surprised that this recipe starts with a box of Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice. It saves time and takes the guesswork out for the perfectly seasoned soup. Sure you could just use wild rice from a bag, but this recipe makes it easy by using the seasoning packet from the box. I suppose you could also season it yourself too and omit the Uncle Ben’s all together. It would still be a quick meal. But if you’re a busy parent, just trying to feed your family quickly with a home cooked meal, this is your recipe.
Try this Dill Pickle Soup recipe for another quick idea.
- One box Uncle Ben's Original Wild Rice
- 3 or 4 cups total of the following mixture: Carrots, Celery, Onion
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 or 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or more if needed)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups (or more) shredded cooked chicken
- In a large pot, saute carrots, celery, onion and garlic in olive oil. (about 3 min)
- Add only the rice from the Uncle Ben's box to the sauteed veggies. continue to saute for another 3 minutes or so.
- Add chicken broth to veggie mixture
- Bring to a boil
- Add chicken and 2 tablespoons of the Uncle Ben's seasoning packet.
- Boil for approx 5-10 min
- Variations: You can add any veggies you'd like or just more of what you're already using.
The beauty of this soup recipe is being able to add any type of vegetable you’d like. I love using mushrooms and broccoli in this chicken and wild rice soup too. It’s a great “COTIN” Clean out the Icebox Night soup.