These Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins are bursting with flavor and are the perfect compliment to the Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup I just posted.
Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins with Cheddar Cheese
What is it about having a bowl of soup or chili and wanting a warm roll or piece of cornbread to go along? It completes the meal if you ask me! So these Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins are a must! They are so good when served with homemade chili, or any soup really. If you’re not into the jalapeno’s, you might want to try my Easy Corn Spoon bread.
I always get nervous while working with jalapeno peppers. I always wear gloves and when I don’t have any gloves, I use plastic bags (here’s the proof).
I blame this on a college dare from some guy for my roommate. He told her he’d pay her $10 or $20 if she ate a can of hot chilis. She ate them. Her nose was running, her eyes were watering…. but she did it. Then the guy wouldn’t pay her. We never talked to him again. To add insult to the situation, she rubbed her eye inadvertently and had to remove her contacts. It was horrible…. although I do remember us laughing. And the next morning when she went to put in her contacts… yep you guessed it. So…. that story is burned into my brain and I’m forever changed while working with any kind of hot pepper. Moral of the story… don’t rub your eyes while working with jalapenos and don’t take on dares.
This recipe is very simple to throw together and doesn’t take much planning or prep. My kind of recipe!
And just for the record, I always use my magic bullet to mince jalapeno peppers. A girl can’t be too safe. (affiliate link)
- 6 tbsp cornmeal
- ¾ C all-purpose flour
- ¼ C sugar
- ½ Tsp salt
- ½ tbsp. baking powder
- 1 egg, large
- ¾ C milk
- ¼ C butter, melted
- 1 C cheddar, shredded
- ½ C cheddar, grated
- ½ jalapeno, minced, seeds included or removed, your preference .
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl. Give them a good mix until combined.
- In another bowl, combine all the wet ingredients – egg, butter, milk.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Let sit for 5 minutes while you shred and prepare the cheese and jalapeno
- Fold in the jalapeno and shredded cheddar.
- Spoon into lined muffin cups (or greased very well).
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for approximately 15 – 18 minutes or until the cheese is melted and a toothpick comes out clean.
Eat them warm with a bit of butter and you’ll think you’ve gone to heaven!
More delicious recipes!