Colored Rice is a great way to create fast holiday decor, no matter the holiday! It’s also a great spring craft for kids.
Easter is right around the corner. Not a lot of time to decorate since it’s on March 31st this year. We seem to be so focused on St. Patrick’s Day, but Easter is way more fun to decorate around. Once again, I don’t go all out for specific Easter decorations, but I like to reflect spring and a hint of Easter. I got the wild “hare” to decorate with colored rice this year.
Colored Rice Tutorial
Since I’m always into very EASY ideas that are hard to mess up, I thought coloring rice would be perfect. I loved how it looked layered in red, white and blue for Memorial Day and it was simple, so I thought a few Easter colors would look springy. If you’re ever stumped on what to decorate with, just grab a few mason jars. Seriously……..what CAN’T a mason jar do?
I made 5 colors of rice for 5 different jars. Perfect for lining up along the dining room table or my entry table.
Items Needed to Color Rice:
- Food coloring
- rubbing alcohol
- white rice
- ziplock baggies
- paper plates
This is so ridiculously simple, you’ll be slapping your forehead…….DOH! Or is that just me?
How to Color Rice:
- Place your rice inside the ziplock baggie
- Drop a few drops of rubbing alcohol inside with the rice
- drip a few drops of food coloring, depending on how intense you want your rice, into the baggie
- Seal the baggie and mix around
- Once your rice is fully coated, pour onto a paper plate and spread out.
- Dry – I placed mine outside and it dried really quickly (about 10 min)
- Pour inside your jars, place candle on top. (I would wait to light the candle in case the rubbing alcohol is still present.)
This is a great craft to get the kids involved……..just make sure the bag is sealed. Trust me.
So many options for layering all the pretty colors, or using individually like I did.
If you’ve got warm weather already, wouldn’t these look pretty on the patio?
So there you have it. Simple, yet cute table decoration for Easter.
More Easy Easter Ideas