This Rice Krispies Scotcheroos recipe makes crispy chocolate peanut butter squares with the perfect blend of flavors and crunch! The best recipe for rice crispy treats I’ve ever made!
I love peanut butter mixed with chocolate, mixed with butterscotch, or just on it’s own. If you also love peanut butter combinations, then you’ll also love my Peanut Butter Butterscotch bread or my Cake Mix Peanut Butter Brownies.
I love dessert type recipes that can be baked in a pan. I can’t be the only one that gets bored making drop cookies. After the 2nd batch, I’m done. So these Rice Krispies Scotcheroos are great since you cook them up, then mash them in a pan. Done!
What’s in a Scotcheroos Recipe?
Scotcheroos are dessert bars with chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, and Rice Krispies cereal. The Scotcheroos recipe was originally printed on the cereal boxes in the mid-1960s.
I’ve been making Scotcharoos since I was a teen. (Scotcheroos…..Scotcharoo, no matter how you spell it, it’s all the same goodness)
Of course I’ve tweaked the Scotcheroos recipe a little to combine my love of peanut butter and butterscotch with the all time favorite Rice Krispie Treats. It all started because sometimes when I’d make them, they would fall apart and honestly, life is just too short to have treats that fall apart. So I fixed it. This is when my secret method comes in.
Having a teen boy in the house and having his friends roaming around often, it helps to have no bake treats ready.
I’ll set these out with a mixture of healthy snacks and just like I figured, they also ate the healthy ones too! Not that these are horribly unhealthy, but they do have sugar.
Pair the Scotcharoo bars with a bowl of blueberries, a plate of sliced apples, carrots and hummus, cheese and crackers and they will fill up on all of it, possibly even leaving one Scotcharoo for you. But don’t count on it.
Good thing these are super easy to make.
How do you make Scotcheroos bars?
The typical Scotcheroos recipe doesn’t have marshmallow cream like the typical Rice Krispie treat, but why the heck not? I thought it would taste good and it would solve my “falling apart” problem. They no longer fall apart, and have that magical chewy consistency. They are delicious!
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ½ cup marshmallow cream
- 6 cups rice krispies
- 1 package butterscotch chips
- Place corn syrup and sugar into a 3 quart saucepan (grab your large sauce pan because you'll be placing the rice krispies inside too, but not yet).
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in half a bag of butterscotch chips, marshmallow cream and peanut butter until mixed well and melted. Add rice krispies. Stir until well coated.
- Place mixture into a greased 13x9 pan and press into place.
- Sprinkle butterscotch chips (you could use chocolate here too) over the top. The heat from the mixture should melt them in 10 min or so. I have also placed the pan in a warm oven for just long enough to melt the chips. Once the chips are melted, spread across the top of the rice krispies.
- Let stand until cool and firm. Cut into bars and enjoy!
You will be a changed person after trying this Scotcheroos recipe!
More Peanut Butter Treats