I really made a mess of my baking dish when I made this Breakfast Strata Recipe. This healthy breakfast idea is packed full of flavor that’s perfect for a weekend breakfast. This breakfast strata recipe has rye bread as it’s base, along with pork sausage, spinach, swiss cheese and red onion.
It’s hearty, nutritious and best of all delicious!
Breakfast Strata Recipe with Sausage
A while back my personal trainer showed me a recipe she was making and I instantly wanted to make it. Her breakfast strata recipe was by Danny Seo in a magazine. It looked delicious!
Once she texted me a photo, I do what I do best. Change it to fit with what I have in my pantry and fridge. I decided to use rye bread, add some pork sausage, use swiss cheese and a few other changes.
When I told my trainer about my changes, she then decided to make it and add sauerkraut and make it a ruben inspired breakfast strata recipe! I think she also used sausage too. It’s easy to add any breakfast meat, so go ahead and swap the sausage for bacon or ham.
Easy breakfast casseroles are so perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. They take very little time to put together and the end result is always impressive.
Breakfast Casserole Recipes
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Biscuits
- French Toast Casserole with Mixed Berries
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
- Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
- Spicy Breakfast Casserole
Many can be made up the night before and baked in the morning. Overnight breakfast casseroles are always a welcomed recipe!
The great thing about this rye bread, sausage, spinach and egg breakfast strata is it takes long enough to bake that it gives you time to do something else.
Why was my pan so messy?
I assembled all my ingredients in a large bowl, dumped it into my casserole dish and then realized I had forgotten to add the cooked sausage I had set aside. DOH!
Because it’s a much fuller breakfast strata recipe before it’s baked, I needed to place it all back into my bowl to add the sausage. So when it baked, all the egg smeared mess along the sides of my pan turned brown.
It just adds character, right?
- 1 loaf rye bread cut into cubes
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- Set your oven to 400 degrees
- Grease your baking dish
- Brown the sausage into bite size pieces, drain and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, mustard, salt, pepper, and milk.
- Grab a large bowl for the bread cubes, spinach, onion, sausage, and cheese. Mix gently. I used my hands.
- Add the bread mixture to your baking dish, and pour the egg mixture over the top covering all the ingredients.
- I added a little more grated cheese to the top.
- Bake for about 45-60 minutes or until the middle is done. Insert a butter knife to the middle. If it comes out clean, it's done.
- If the top is getting too brown and it's still not finished, loosely place tin foil over the top.