Decorating with candles for Christmas is a simple way to decorate your tabletops and mantel for the holidays. I’m going to show you how to take an ordinary pillar candle and make it into fabulous DIY holiday decor using items from your spice cabinet.
Decorating with Candles for Christmas
Using candles and adding your own personal touch is a really fun way to add more style and personality to your seasonal decor. These Star Anise Seed candles are great for fall and winter decor, as well as Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday decorating.
Other Simple Ways to Decorate with Candles
- Christmas Decor with Punch Letter Label Candles
- DIY Image Transfer Halloween Candles
- DIY Paper-Wrapped Candles for Spring
- Victorian Glowing Eye Halloween Candles
- Cranberry Cedar Luminaires
DIY Christmas Decorating
My favorite way to decorate is using items I already have. It really is as simple as tying an item around a candle.
I used items I found in my craft room.
- Candles – flameless or wax
- String, twine or ribbon
- Star Anise seed.
I have a few candles I keep around for different holidays, I also bought a lot of cinnamon sticks and spices for making my apple cider mulling spice bags. This craft took me about 5 minutes to make and I had a cute way to decorate my holiday tabletops or even a centerpiece.
- Pillar Candles - I used 3 in varying heights and widths.
- Twine, string or ribbon - It's really up to personal taste for what you want to use.
- Star Anise Seed - or Cinnamon sticks, sprigs of Christmas greens, bay leaves, etc...
- Gather your items.
- Measure and cut string to the length you need.
- Add your Star Anise seed where you want it on the candle. Place the string over the star and wrap the string around and tie.
- Trim string.
- Keep the cost low by using items you already have. Repurpose older candles and use other items like bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, or herbs. Use sprigs of cedar, fir, or pine. Or a few twigs. Use your imagination to create your own look.
- Use common sense when burning candles. Make sure you tie flammable items lower than where the flame would be. Never leave a burning candle unattended.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Other Items to Use when Decorating with Candles for Christmas
You can add so many different items with this type of candle craft. Here are just a few ideas that can be tied around a candle.
- Cinnamon sticks
- Holiday Greens – Springs of cedar, fir, and pine.
- Bay leaves
- Orange peels – shape into stars, or cut thin strips
- Small Twigs – or make a twig star and tie it around
- Decorative Ribbon – a Tartan plaid ribbon tied around would be so cute.
- Small photographs
- Small Pinecones
- Decorative Paper – there are so many great scrapbook papers
Once you get to brainstorming, you’ll think of all kinds of ways to add more style to your holiday decor.