DIY homemade gifts are always on my mind this time of year! This Oatmeal Cookie Mix in a Jar Recipe is so easy to make and the cookies are delicious! It even comes with a free printable tag with recipe directions. They are actually oatmeal chocolate chip raisin cookies. The raisins are optional of course.
Oatmeal Cookie Mix in a Jar Recipe
These cookies in a jar gifts are great for just about anyone! Teacher gifts, neighbor gifts, easy gifts for friends. They’re homemade, inexpensive and easy!
All a person has to do is add the wet ingredients, mix it up and bake! Who doesn’t love that?
This Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Raisin Cookie Mix makes the best cookies. Crisp on the edges, chewy in the center. Many Oatmeal cookie recipes will call for quick oats, instead of rolled oats, but not my recipe. Give me all the goodness from real rolled oats. I love the Trader Joe’s brand or Bob’s Red Mill.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Layered Mix in a Jar
Here are the layers for each jar of cookie mix.
- Brown sugar (did you know you can make your own brown sugar? Never run out of brown sugar again! So easy.)
- Chocolate Chips (and Raisins – I like adding both, but you can add just the chips, just the raisins or both!)
- Flour Mix
Oatmeal Cookies in a Jar Baking Instructions
These adorable and festive printable tags have all the mixing and baking directions to whip up a quick batch of cookies. Just tie it to your jar with bakers twine or ribbon, and you’ve got yourself a fun homemade gift.
How to Print Gift Tags
- inkjet printer – I’ve owned this inexpensive one and it was great. I currently own the ecotank version so my ink lasts over a year.
- white cardstock
- hole punch
- ribbon or twine
- Download the free printable baking instructions gift tag and open up the file on your device.
- Load your printer with your paper and right click to choose print.
- Trim each tag.
- punch a hole in the indicated spot.
- Add to your cookie mix in a jar.
You’ll have access to all the free printables for many more homemade DIY gift or craft ideas. The password may change from time to time, but I’ll always inform you when that happens.
What Kind of Jar do I use?
This Oatmeal Cookie Mix in a jar recipe uses a 1 quart size jar.
Wide Mouth Mason Jar – It’s much nicer if you get a wide mouth jar, which makes it easier for creating your layers.
Anchor Hocking Screw Top – This is what I’m using. I like the wideness and overall minimal look.
How to Layer Cookie Mix Ingredients
As mentioned, it helps to have a wide mouth jar.
I like filling a 1/2 measuring cup full of each ingredient as I reach into the jar and sprinkle along the edges first. With the packable items, I used a spoon to pat down the edges.
After each ingredient added, I give the jar a gentle tap on the counter to help the layers settle.
How to Make Layered Oatmeal Cookie Mix in a Jar Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups rolled oats (or quick cooking oats)
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS
- ¾ cups softened butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the first 5 ingredients. Set aside.
- Grab your 1 quart jar and layer the brown sugar, sugar, chocolate chips and oats.
- Pack well in between each layer and if needed, use a utensil to pack around the edges for a cleaner layered look.
- Top with flour mixture.
- Store in an airtight container.
- TO PREPARE COOKIES
- I use my Kitchenaid mixer
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Drop by the spoonful onto a parchment paper lined or greased cookie sheet. I like to roll the dough in my hands to form a ball.
- Place 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for a couple of minutes and move to a cooling rack.
More DIY Homemade Gift Ideas