You know how I love my crockpot? Well I am on fire lately, that baby isn’t getting a rest in this house. I’ve already made Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup this past week and now Crockpot Lasagna! You are gonna love this lasagna recipe! Actually I have 2 of them and they’re both for the slow cooker. I always use my friend Stephanie’s Make it Fast, Cook it Slow Slow cooker cookbook. I seem to add my own flair to most recipes, but not because Stephanie’s aren’t good……..no no no….I am just that kind of cook. A little of this, a little of that. I improvise if I’m out of something or there’s something my family (me) doesn’t like.
Crockpot Lasagna Recipe
Making lasagna in the crockpot is perfect. And you don’t have to boil the noodles ahead of time……….like I do that anyway. Never! I make this when I know our evenings are going to be time crunched. Or when we may all need to eat at different times, like tonight. Since my son’s soccer practice runs til 8pm, we’ll eat before, and the real beauty is my husband will have his dinner ready for him when he gets home. THAT rarely happens. We’re all happy.
Both mine and Stephanie’s recipes below. Keep in mind……. she has a published cookbook and I have not.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 garlic cloves chopped or crushed
- 1 jar (25 oz) pasta sauce
- 10 lasagna pasta noodles (that's what Stephanie says, I don't count. I just place a full layer covering each time)
- 1 (15 oz) cottage cheese
- 1 pound sliced porcini mushrooms
- 3 cups shredded Mozzerella
- 2 cups Italian blend shredded cheese ( I use the Quattro Formaggio blend from Trader Joes)
- 1/4 cup water
- Use a 6- quart slow cooker. Brown the ground turkey and sausage in a skillet, adding the garlic and oregano. When the meat is browned, add pasta sauce. Save the jar, you're going to need it later.
- Spoon some of the meat mixture into the bottom of your slow cooker. cover with a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles. Smear some of the cottage cheese on the noodles, and add some mushrooms, a handful of cheese. Starting with the meat sauce, repeat the layers until your slow cooker is full.
- Put the water into the empty pasta sauce jar and shake. Pour the contents over your assembled ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Check about an hour before serving, and push down the top noodles into the liquid. When the cheeses are completely melted on the top and begun to brown on the edges, your meal is ready!
And here’s Stephanie’s version below. Much more nutritious than mine. Stephanie has 2 Slow Cooker Cookbooks out……..and they are both VERY good! With her permission, she said to go ahead and post her recipe! Lucky us!
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey browned and drained
- 1 (25 -ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 10 dry lasagna noodles (traditional, no the no-cook kind; I use brown rice noodles)
- 1 (15- ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves (optional)
- 3 hard boiled eggs, sliced (optional)
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian style cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- Use a 6 quart slow cooker. Brown the ground meat on the stove top, and drain well. Add the jar of pasta sauce to the meat. Save the jar, you'll need it later .
- Spoon some of the meat and sauce mixture into the bottom of your slow cooker. Cover with a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles,. Smear some ricotta cheese on the noodles, and add some mushrooms, a handful of spinach, and some egg slices, if using. Put a few slices of mozzarella on top, and 1/2 cup or so of the shredded cheese. Add another spoonful of the meat and sauce mixture, and repeat the layers until you run out of ingredients, or the crock is full.
- Put the water into the empty pasta jar and shake. Pour the contents over the assembled ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Check about an hour before serving, and push down the top noodles into the liquid, if they are getting too brown and crispy. The lasagna is done with the pasta has reached the desired tenderness and the cheese has melted completely and has begun to brown on the edges.
Meal planning just got easier for the week!
Did you enter my giveaway for the Silhouette Portrait Bundle? Or grab your discount code to purchase either the bundle or just the double adhesive starter kit.