Slow cooker ham and cheese scalloped potatoes casserole is a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for any occasion. Here are some of the things that make this dish so good: Tender and juicy ham, creamy, cheesy and comforting, easy to make and versitile. Reminds me a little of my Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Potato Casserole.
Once the temps drop and the winter months are closing in, we suddenly want all things made with pasta or potatoes! This past week, I posted my super delicious 3 cheese Mac & Cheese and now this Crockpot Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes! Just consider me your comfort food supplier this winter.
Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
Potatoes always get a bad rap, yes I know they are full of carbohydrates, but let’s consider all the nutrition they also offer. Because if I’m going to eat potatoes, then I’m not going to feel guilty about it and ruin my moment.
This recipe is also a great way to use of leftover ham from any holiday dinner.
How to Make Scalloped Potatoes in a Crockpot
I just recently lost my mother and in the past few months of her sickness, I was always trying to fatten her up. I made my oven-baked scalloped potatoes more than once while visiting her and she and my aunt would eat them all week long. At least every two weeks, they’d ask me to make them because they loved them so much. I should have made up a batch in the crockpot.
This recipe isn’t much different, except you can use your slow cooker or crockpot (same thing) so you can cook it while your away during the day and have a delicious side dish waiting for you for dinner.
Using your slow cooker for recipes like this is also a great idea for the holidays. It allows you to free up the oven, or contribute a dish that’s easy to transport. Just place your slow cooker on the floor of your car or in a box to be placed in the trunk. There are slow cookers that have a great locking lid system to make it even easier.
What to Serve with Scalloped Potatoes and Ham?
This is obviously a great side dish, but honestly….. who couldn’t just make this a meal? I know I could!
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham are great to serve with a vegetable such as asparagus or with salad. They make a great holiday side dish for Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas.
I’ve got a bowl for you and for me! Let’s eat!
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin slices
- 6 TBS butter
- 3 TBS flour
- 24 ounces evaporated milk (2 cans)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups cooked ham cubes
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- extra green onions for garnish (optional)
- sour cream for garnish (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, add butter and melt over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk, cooking for one minute, continuously whisking.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly to combine.
- Cook over medium/high heat until the mixture is bubbling and thickening. Remove from heat, add salt and pepper.
- Spray your 5 qt. slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Add a layer of potatoes, 1/3 cup of milk mixture, 1/2 cup ham cubes, 1/2 cup cheese, and 2 TBS of green onions. repeat layers 2 more times.
- Top last layer with another layer of potatoes, remaining ham, cheese, and green onions.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker, set to low and cook for 3 hours.
- Serve and garnish with additional green onions and sour cream if desired.
Can you Freeze Scalloped Potatoes with Ham?
Yes, you can! This will really help with leftovers. I transfer the leftover scalloped potatoes into freezer-friendly containers. Choose container sizes to match the desired serving size. It’s also helpful to choose a container that can also go from freezer to oven to reheat. Be sure to use after 2-3 weeks.
Can you Leave out the Ham?
Of course! Just follow the recipe as stated, but skip adding in the ham. It will still be delicious!